Hi peeps! I hope that you are all doing well.
I’ve updated my ‘news,’ section.
This week’s post is all about sewing. This is mainly because I nearly forgot to write a post altogether, lol. Plus, this would make a great gift for someone. 🙂
The pin cushion is my own design and it’s a very simple make. Believe me, if I can make it, anyone can. I’m still learning about sewing so it’s all new to me! I made a matching zipped bag with mine too, which you can see on my Instagram account on here.
- All you need is two equal square pieces of cotton fabric. My pincushion is 6 inches (15cm) long, and 5 inches (13cm) wide, and I used half an inch seam allowance.
- Once you have two squares cut out, pin them together with right sides together (facing each other).
- Sew around the squares, using a matching thread, but leave about a 3-inch (8cm) gap at the bottom for turning it out the right way and filling it.
- Fill with a suitable toy filling (fibre fill, US).
- Hand-stitch opening closed using a matching thread and a ladder stitch.
Tips for success.
Try to keep stitches even.
Fill pincushion tightly but do not over fill it. When filling, try to ensure that the corners of the cushion are filled too.
It doesn’t have to be a square, make it any shape you like!
You can sew it by hand if you prefer.
You can add a pocket, applique΄, or another embellishment if you want to.
You could use up fabric scraps and make a quilted pin cushion.
If you make one, do please share your projects on here, or tag me on social media as I’d love to see them. 😊
Thanks for reading! Feel free to share,
The sewing directory have some great sewing projects, tips, sewing supplies, and all sewing related things on their website. Do please check them out. They often have competitions too. Here is the link: The Sewing Directory