Fun Christmas Coasters
A simple, knitted coaster which is both sturdy and pretty at the same time. A quick knit for yourself or can be made as a gift.
Gauge: 5sts by 6 rows per inch (2.5cm).
Needles and notions: 3.25mm (US size 3) needles, DK yarn (8 ply) tapestry needle, scissors, tape measure/ruler.
Finished size: Small Coaster: 3.5 inches (8cm) high. 4 inches (10.5cm) wide. (40 rows).
Large Coaster: 4.5 inches (12cm) high. 4 inches (10.5cm) wide. (48 rows).
- Using 3.25mm (US size 3) and DK yarn (your main colour) Cast on 20 stitches.
- Knit 8 rows.
- Cut off main colour and join contrast colour (if desired).
- Knit 8 rows. If you want a stripe effect, then change colour on the 9th row (so that you have knitted 8 rows in total) Continue in this manner until you have 40 rows (20 rows each side).
- Cast off.
- Weave in ends.
- Use for the festive season and enjoy!
- Add felt or fabric to the bottom.
- Sew pretty stitches, such as blanket stitch around the edges.
- Could do an I-Cord and attach it to the edge to give a contrast look and make the coaster more sturdy.
- Could use two strands of yarn to make them more hard-wearing.
I would love to see pictures of your projects! 😊
Follow me online:
© Sarah Evans. 2018.
Do please let me know if there are any errors or if any part is unclear. It’s not been tested, apart from me knitting them up. I will add more pictures of them to my Ravelry page, in due course (and fix the green one as it’s gone weird! Lol. Probably because they were wet at time of taking the picture).
I’ve now added the pattern to my Ravelry store if you prefer a PDF version of the pattern. 🙂 Ravelry
Thanks for reading! Feel free to share.
Enjoy making them,